What is the Alkaline diet and does it really work?

By 19 August 2015News
Alkaline diet PH chart

We’ve all had it up to here with rules, restrictions and fad diets.  So what’s any different about this one? For a start, it’s not so much a diet, but more an eating plan which puts emphasis on alkaline foods, such as broccoli, cauliflower, celery, cucumber, kale, peas, peppers and spinach.  Alkaline eating helps your body maintain balanced pH levels, which in turn can improve digestion, sleep, skin tone, mood and weight loss. What’s not to like?

The foods that cause an imbalance in our pH levels are the usual suspects —sugar, dairy, processed or excessively fatty foods, alcohol, caffeine, certain meats, etc.

How do you know if your body is acidic or alkaline already? First, a brief chemistry lesson: pH balance is a measure of acidity. Anything below a pH of seven is considered “acidic”, and anything above seven is “alkaline” or base. Water, for example, has a pH of seven and is neither acidic nor alkaline. To sustain human life, your blood needs to remain in a slightly alkaline state.

You can test your alkaline levels at home; this may well take you back to school chem’ class!  You can pick up a packet of pH test strips, or litmus paper, in your local pharmacy and use on either saliva or urine. The goal is to test at the same time every day, ideally the morning and get your level between 6.5 and 7.5.

Lemon is, surprisingly, one of the best alkalising foods to eat. It’ll come as no surprise that it’s a great idea to start your day with a cup of hot water and lemon; not only does it give your digestion a kick start, it also clears skin and boosts your immune system. Most people ask why something that is typically acidic and ‘citrus’ on the outside can be non acid forming on the inside. This is due its very, very low sugar content and high alkaline mineral content and their citric acid does not create acidity in the body once metabolised.

There are some fantastic Alkaline recipes out there, often aiming to use 80% alkaline ingredients and the other 20% a combination or less alkalising food. Some of my favourites can be found on www.alkalinesisters.com and www.honestlyhealthyfood.com who also have a brilliant recipe book!

So when life give you lemons… get alkaline 🙂