Fierce Grace Brixton studio manager Marija Jovanovic explains some of the benefits of a hot yoga practice this week. So if you want to know how good it is for you, read on…
- Practicing yoga in a heated room increases pulse rate and metabolism, increasing blood flow to the limbs. This allows you to move more freely from posture to posture. In addition, a warmed up body can twist, bend and stretch further and more safely, which also allows for an internal organ massage. All inner glands, organs, ligaments and muscles benefit.
- Yoga promotes the relief of stress and connection of mind and body and spirit. Through regular you will challenge yourself – as they say, life begins when you step out of your comfort zone! When you can stay calm and focused during hot yoga, you may find that that carries through to any given situation occurring in everyday life – enabling you to retain peace of mind as you face the challenges of life.
- Hot yoga encourages elimination of toxins from the body by sweating. Your body burns fat more effectively in the heat, and fat may redistribute and be used as energy during the class. You may notice a your muscle definition and tone improves fairly quickly with regular practice as does your flexibility and strength.
- The increase in sweat also benefits your skin; it’s the hot yoga glow! After all, the largest organ of our body is the skin, and a 90-minute class will help clear out the pores.
- You may become better equipped to fight infection with regular hot yoga practice. Similar to when your body raises its temperature to fight infection, the raised temperature in the room assists in improving T-cell function and the proper functioning of your immune system.
So enjoy the experience – exploration of your own body, mind and soul. It’s a journey well worth taking and it’s really good for you.